Skip to content
Technical factors of search engine optimisation
- User-friendly URLs. Example: https://example.com/about instead of https://example.com/about/index.php?cat=10&subcat=2&id=41
- Duplicate pages. Dubles can occur because o various factors.
- Protocol (http or https):
- Trailing slash (/):
- Mirrors of the web site (a clone of the web site but on another domain).
- Pages are disallowed in robots.txt.
- If a web page does not exist HTTP 404 code should be responded. Otherwise there may appear a lot of duplicates.
- Lack of a sitemap.
- Broken links
- Inner links
- Language: what if in HTML one language is declared, but the document is in another?
- Lack of “alt” attributes of images.
- Mobile friendly: if anything goes wrong with mobile users, it is very bad for search engine optimisation. Too small a font and controls etc.
- Structure: site should contain categories. But the structure should be simple: not overcomplicated.
- Uptime. If a website is not accessible, it can’t be ranked high. Monitor uptime.